- The primary reason for the crash of Boeing’s 737 Max 8 plane is a software called – “MCAS”, which Boeing quietly installed on planes in rush to compete with Airbus
- Google Docs will let you natively edit and collaborate on Microsoft Office files. That means editing MS files no longer require MS office or format conversion. Supported file types are –
Word files: .doc, .docx, .dot
Excel files: .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm (macro enabled Excel files), .xlt
Powerpoint files: .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .pot
- SpaceX launched world’s most powerful rocket and landed it safely for resusagibilty. This was SpaceX’s first commercial flight carrying satellite for a Arab company named “Arabsat”
- Tesla showcased software upgrades to its self-driving technology at Autonomy Investors Day. Tesla developed its own ai chip which is 20 times faster than Nvidia. Tesla’s Robotaxis will be on road by 2020 and Tesla owners will be able to rent their car with a flip of a switch from the app. That makes Tesla a direct competitor of Uber. Musk also fired shots on Google’s Lidar technology saying expensive laser sensors are not necessary to make autopilot work.
- Boston Dynamics – a company famous for producing weird looking robots, showcased their SpotPower(SP) robots which can handles objects, climbs stairs, and can operate in offices, homes and outdoors.
- At Facebook F8, Facebook’s annual conference, Mark Zuckerberg said: “Future is private and we are committed to it??”. Facebook’s April Fool joke is one month late but having said that – Facebook is redesigning its platform around Groups and Events.
- Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, and Instagram chat will get unified under one roof. Users will be able to call their friends and family from one place. Facebook is making all these efforts to make a social network out of messaging apps. Facebook will also launch a desktop app for both Windows and Mac.
- Facebook will be competing with Tinder with its new dating app. The app will have a feature called “Secret Crush” which allows adding your friends to a secret list, whom you are attracted to, if your crush does the same then Facebook will notify two of you.
- Facebook also launched its much awaited product called “Oculus Rift”. Watch this entire event in 12 minutes.
- Following the shut down of Google+, Google launches “Currents”, a social media platform(exclusive for G-Suite users) to exchange ideas by having discussions across an organization and get feedback and input from employees.
- Google is shutting down its “goo.gl” URL shortening service and replacing it with FDL(Firebase Dynamic Links) which is way smarter than its predecessor. Using FDL, users will be able to get the best available experience for the platform they open a link on. For example – If a user opens Dynamic link on Android or iOS platform, they can be taken directly to linked content in a native app or if a user opens the same Dynamic Link in a desktop browser, they can be taken to the equivalent content on the website. Having said that, using FDL is not as simple as using goo.gl, that’s why
Google even recommends Bitly or Ow.ly as replacements for goo.gl.